The Pink Taffy Manifesto

Random Thoughts From a Random Girl

Friday, September 08, 2006

Old Friends-and Story Bookends


High School...

it's like one of those TV shows that gets cancelled before you know how things turn out. (Just ask the fans of the show "Reunion") You spend 4 years with a group of people, then >poof< you are off to college, or a job, or just somewhere else in your life. You wonder "what ever happened to" or "I wish I could tell.." Maybe you go to a reunion, maybe not.

As I type this I am listening a cd recorded by my high school boyfriend. He, his wife, and his two daughters record rock songs at home and he sent me two cds yesterday. (I had told him that I had never heard him play). I am sitting here amazed not just at his music but at the very fact that I am listening to it.

All courtesy of the internet.

Over the past few years I have managed to find almost all of my high school friends-including the old boyfriend and the crush (would have dropped the boyfriend like a bad habit if the crush had made a move). Overall, everyone turned out okay. Sure, there have been divorces and setbacks and one person is a pathological liar (had us all convinced he wanted to be a priest! Isn't there a special place in hell for that?).

First, I found my best friend or rather she found me. Then the liar. Then, I found the crush via the internet. I was worried he didn't remember me. Turns out he did-and not as drama queen/head case either. He and I email and talk on the phone a few times a month. With these two successes, I turned my attention to finding my ex. Googled his (very common) name and found it on a website of a friend of his. Sent the third party an email asking if he knew where ex was- not only did he, he sent me the email address. So I shot off an email entitled "Confessions of a teenage drama department queen" telling him that I was married, had two kids, etc. (I was worried that he would think I was some Tim Burton creation- "Corpse Ex-Girlfriend"-turns out he had some of those girls surface and understandably, his wife was not thrilled) That was about two years ago and we have emailed ever since. His wife enjoys my emails since the three of us share the same political views - she says I am their personal Al Franken. This has been really nice since things 25 or so years ago did not end on smooth terms (no fight, just hurt feelings) and its been nice to see how it all turned out take it from there.

So, if you are on the fence about contacting someone- give it a try! Some of my contacts have been brief- just catching up and then nothing else to say but who knows?

Taffy

The pic is what my old school (and no, I am never going back) looks like today-a lot bigger but I can still pick out the places where the "big" events in my life happened.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home