The Pink Taffy Manifesto

Random Thoughts From a Random Girl

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

That Little Black Skirt


Enough about lamenting the end of vacation. Now back to not so deep thoughts.

I have been reading a wonderful book called "Target Underwear and a Vera Wang Gown" by Adena Halpern. She chronicles her life by recalling different outfits she has worn. It's a fun read and got me thinking about the clothing of my life:

The black velvet dress that I wore for a picture with my sister taken when I was about 5. My mom curled my hair so I looked like a slightly poofed out Shirley Temple.

My catholic school uniform. Worn long before the days that anyone would dream of dancing through the halls singing "Hit me baby, one more time." (yeah, the nuns would have had no trouble hitting us with a yardstick for even thinking about that)

The ice blue Gunne Sax gown I wore to my ninth grade dinner dance.

The grey jacket that completed by feeble attempt at the Annie Hall look.

The blue down vest my high school crush wore- it was back in style just a few years ago- wonder if he still has his. But I am drifting...

My hot pink bathrobe that I wore in college.

The Laura Ashley, off the shoulder, blue dress worn to a fraternity boat party

The vintage velvet dress worn to Halloween party- won a prize for my Spanish dancer outfit.

Then after I got married, things started to to become more utilitarian- polos, khakis, jeans- and being tall and self-medicating with Oreos didn't expand my fashion choices.

Now I have lost weight and even own capris! There are 4 skirts in my closet but its a fifth one that is my slight obsession- the black wool hip stitch pleated one (sorry I couldn't find a decent photo) I last wore it to a wedding about 13 years ago. I have a picture of me in it- a happy, smiling young wife and mother. The caption could read "In happier times" or "Before it all went south." I found the skirt at the bottom of a box a few months ago and was tempted to send it to Goodwill. But damn, its so pretty, high end, and well made. Let's just try it on.......the hook and eye were in two separate zip codes. So it's my goal- to get that thing on. I know that I am not built the same but even if I could get the hook and eye to meet for just a moment, I would be happy. No, I will never again be that gal in the picture (way too much water and cookies under the bridge) but everyone should have some kind of goal to attain.

I am halfway there. All the walking has paid off- so maybe by next fall......I'll keep you posted.

And now the question...

What piece of clothing means something to you?

Taffy

2 Comments:

  • At 1:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I have my first communion dress that I wore when I was 9. I insisted it be kept since I never seemed to hear the end of how expensive it was.

    The jeans in college that I wore so often that there were holes in the butt.

    The pink linen suit I bought right when I graduated from college. I think I wore it twice before I "grew" out of it. But, I never let it go and decided that someday I would fit into it again. Well, many many SlimFast lunches and flights on the stairmaster later, I wore it for the last interview I had. It was actually a little big. Unfortunately it didn't bring me any good luck since I didn't get the job.

    Oh, and I still have the ice blue bridesmaid's dress I wore to someone's wedding. Not sure if I still fit in that.

    -Bruin

     
  • At 4:26 PM, Blogger Kathy said…

    With regards to the bridemaid's dress (which by the way was a Prisilla's of Boston) to quote from the old show "Kate and Allie"

    "I can wear this bridemaid's dress again. Sure. I can wear it to the skating party when hell freezes over."

    Taffy

     

Post a Comment

<< Home