The Pink Taffy Manifesto

Random Thoughts From a Random Girl

Sunday, August 20, 2006

Taffy's Excellent Adventure

Well, I am back home now. Oh, how I wish I were still in Kansas! Daughter Dear and I had a fantastic time even though it we got off to a difficult start.

The night before we left, I was watching Keith Olbermann's show. He was showing the video of the Dell computer that "blew up real good" So I checked the website and it turns out that my battery registration number is the one used in the online example! So, the lovely people at Dell are mailing me a new one.

Then, on Wednesday, we got to the train station a half hour ahead of time. What we didn't know was at that very time some people in an SUV were in a big hurry and decided to beat the Amtrak train on it's way to California and passing through Berwyn, Illinois. Unfortunately they paid with their error in judgment with their lives. I was two hours late- a small momentary inconvenience- but my heart goes out to the families of the two people who never arrived.

The train ride was pretty nice-smooth and believe it or not the food wasn't bad at all. The only problem was the guy in the seat next to us who would not stop talking. Was he drunk? Also- quick tip-don't wear 3 and half inch wedges on a train.

We spent Thursday shopping for antiques in Greenwood, Missouri. Char and her friend Carol took us to lunch at a tea room that had great food- including carrot/apple soup. I should note that on our last visit we did all the sighseeing, so this was an r and s visit- relax and shop.

Then dinner at Mimi's Cafe. They are a chain west of the Mississippi with great food.

(Oh, idea for another blog- photos of me watching Law and Order in different states- yes, when we got back I caught an episode- but that was the only one!)

Friday we started the day at Dillard's Department Store aka Purse Heaven!
Hundreds of them- and most of them on sale!! Got a straw for $14 and a fall purse for only $15 marked down from $60! Then we went on to Liberty, Missouri. (Great purchase there- a note pad that says "Of course I have emotional baggage- but at least it's cute and matches.) Liberty is one of the numerous cute small towns where there is the courthouse in the center of town and interesting shops and restaurants. Char made us a wonderful dinner of crab cakes and we started that morning with a great bread and egg dish. That night, we hit the hot tub, complete with light up rubber ducks.

Saturday, we were off again- first to Mission Road Antiques and then to downtown Kansas City, Missouri. But, first...lunch at The Classic Cookie
. It is a small neighborhood place- and it's a good thing that there isn't one here or I would be the size of a house. After you place your lunch order, the waitress brings you a small basket of muffins and cookies! Incredible cookies- DD and I bought half a dozen to go- and the 2 that are left are being hidden in a backpack in the guest room. Sorry, guys! Good thing they do mail order, though.

Once in KC, we went to Hall's Department Store. There are only two- both are owned by the Hall family- the owners of Hallmark Cards and Crayola crayons. This place made Nordstrom's look like Marshall's. DD (Daughter Dear) found a nice t-shirt that was only $97. Found a fun purse that was shaped like two dice- a mere $285. Then we walked around the area called The Plaza. Very chi-chi.

I have really come to love this area. I grew up in the East and it was so incredible to be in a place with hills again. I have to Minneapolis which is nice but at least KC isn't as cold in the winter.

We ended our visit with dinner at Ya-Ya's by Char's house. Great food and yummy waiters. DD was very taken with a young man assisting our waiter and the waiter was a younger, more handsome version of Ben Affleck. Nice.

So, we went back to her house and packed. Then about 11 some skunks behind her house decided to "spray" outdoors and it wafted into the house. This sent DD and I scurrying around to find some air freshener.

This morning we were up at 6 and on the train at 7:45. Back in the real world in the early afternoon.

Thank you Char (and your mom, too!) for your wonderful hospitatlity! Thank you for helping me recharge my emotional batteries and giving me a place to relax and take stock. We will miss you and Dolly, the cat, the birds in the backyard..but to be honest, not the skunks.

Taffy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home