The Pink Taffy Manifesto

Random Thoughts From a Random Girl

Sunday, July 23, 2006

Community Property?

I have been reading with amused interest the blog "That Girl Emily" which has quickly been labeled "Viral Marketing." If it is, they did a pretty good job of getting people all over the web to take a look at it. (Though, they could have done a much better job of keeping everyone guessing if it was real or not by just having one billboard in New York, not several across the country). Anyway, Emily or whoever, lost me on the revenge crusade when she claimed to be mailing her cheating, soon to be ex-husband his childhood teddy bear in pieces. Give away the wine collection, delete the perfect fantasy baseball team, but spare the childhood keepsake!

Anyway, this got me thinking- there are those possessions that somehow got left behind with an ex. Usually some little thing lost in the shuffle of moving out or moving on. Months later we realize that it is gone- perhaps forever, tossed by an ex who may not have even known who it belonged to or its value.

Bet you are wondering about the picture. Well, here's my request. I want back my creme colored half slip! I went on a double date in college. Got all done up in the height of 1980's fashion-purple low cut dress with slits on either side of the dress. Since the side seams were also scalloped I had to buy a special slip for the dress. Went out to a private dinner club at the top of the Prudential building with my date and another couple. Then my date and I went back to his frat brother's dorm room (a single- frat bro was out of town that weekend) Yada, yada, yada- and trust me, that's being generous. Next morning- dress there, slip not. Never found it. Was it taken as a trophy...keepsake....?

So, that's the question- what item would you like back- perhaps a photo where you looked smashing or maybe the sweater you spent months knitting for the clod?

Maybe one day- you may just get it back.

Taffy

4 Comments:

  • At 1:01 PM, Blogger Amanda said…

    are you sure you still want it back? he may have been wearing it in the meantime you know.....

     
  • At 3:23 PM, Blogger Kathy said…

    That may be truer than you know!!

    Taffy

     
  • At 10:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    So, on some family trip way up into Canada, I got a Canadian quarter in change. But not just any--a 1900 quarter with Queen Victoria on it. It had a hole in the middle, apparently having been strung on a piece of rawhide or somewhere by an Esquimo or someone. (At least that was my idea at the time.) I know it wasn't worth much, but it was one of a kind, for sure.

    So fast forward to college. I've put the quarter on a chain and am wearing it around my neck for freshman-style cool. (Obviously not so cool.) I'm going out with a guy who says he really likes the quarter. As a show of "I really like you" I give it to him. Stupid, stupid, stupid! Go out with him for two years. See the quarter sometimes. Break up.

    I realize a month or so later that he's still got it--and I want it back. So I call and ask if I can have it. He says, "Oh that. It fell off the chain a while back. I don't know where it is." So I don't know where it ended up. Don't want it any more, obviously, but I'd still like to know whether he was lying.

     
  • At 9:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    A pillow spent hours and hours needlepointing in colors to match this guy's couch. Gave it to him, oh, probably the weekend before we broke up. Saw it later in his car; it matched the interior. Hope he and his new girlfriend enjoyed the fruits of my creative labor ... but I would rather have had it back.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home