The Pink Taffy Manifesto

Random Thoughts From a Random Girl

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Love, Romance, and E-Dultery

As promised, I am passing along some of the better pieces of chicklit that I have read. (I check out about 5 books a week from work and sorry to say that some have only lasted with me for 10 pages. Life is too short to read bad writing)
Hit Reply by Rocki St. Claire may on the surface seem too gimmicky. The entire story is told through the emails and instant messages of the characters, but in this case, the gimmick works.

The characters include-
Amber who works in advertising. She has signed up on a reunion website and that puts her in touch with former flame, Gray.

Stephanie, her former boss, is married with small children and living in Florda. Her husband has just told her that she is no longer interesting. So she takes a cyber-consulting job with her old company which puts her in email/IM contact with Tom (an unhappily married man who has never forgotten their near rendezvous in one of the company's storage rooms).

Julie is Amber's 40ish divorcee administrative assistant who googles the name of a former pro baseball player that she knew (and said no to) and starts an email correspondence with him

The story moves along quickly and I found myself caught up with everyone's lives. Julie's emailing of the guy she hadn't seen in over 20 years was spot on. She loved emailing him but was worried about sending a photo- for every Tina Turner, there is a Kathleen Turner, too.

The book does raise one interesting question which it leaves up to the reader.....are flirty emails and IM's adultery? Was Stephanie cheating on her husband every time she told Tom what she was wearing? (Several times she asks Amber if she is) When does it cross the line? Does it count if you don't touch? And when, if ever, is it ok?

Even if you don't read the book, weigh in with your thoughts. I'll post mine later.

Happy emailing,

Taffy

2 Comments:

  • At 6:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ok, now that I've got a glass of wine in me I'm ready to be the trailblazer on this one.

    As with most things, it depends. What is the intent here? Is it just a different form of teasing or does one expect something in return? If you are expecting something (affection, respect, love) then I believe it is cheating. Why aren't you flirting with your SO? Sometimes when I'm talking to my DH on the phone I will throw in a "what are you wearing?" Usually I get an incredibly funny answer.

    Although I'm not so sure there is such a thing as harmless flirting when you are otherwise attached. Perhaps I need another glass of wine to ponder that question...


    - Bruin (too lazy to create a login)

     
  • At 12:06 PM, Blogger Kathy said…

    Thank you Brave Bruin for your thoughts...and now my two cents worth.

    I guess that it comes down to just a few things for me..

    first- is everyone on the same page? Meaning are the two people doing the emailing meaning the same thing- or is one person much more invested than the other?
    In an episdoe of Sex and the City, Carrie meets up with her f*ck buddy- sex only, no problems. In college I had a kissing buddy. If we werent dating anyone else, Mark and I would go to a movie, talk, and would sit on his bed and kiss. That's it. Everyone on the same page. Worked great for over a year.

    Second- is anyone getting hurt? Is there a SO out there that thinks everything is wonderful in the relationship and this would come as a terrrible blow to them?

    Finally- Can you live with yourself?

    So, type away my friends, live your lives and be happy.

    Taffy

     

Post a Comment

<< Home