The Pink Taffy Manifesto

Random Thoughts From a Random Girl

Saturday, May 20, 2006

The Sporting News

Today Barry Bonds tied Babe Ruth's home run record- who cares? Barbaro breaks his leg in the Preakness and I want to cry. I am not a big racing fan. I only watch the Triple Crown loving the beauty and power of the horses running. I have only been on a horse a few times but quickly respected their size and strength. That makes seeing their fragility all the more devastating. As a girl, living in New York, my dad once took my sister and I to breakfast one Saturday at Saratoga. We even got to see Robin Smith ride during a workout. I loved Secretariat- and even remember the name of the horse that beat him in Saratoga's Travers Stakes- it was Onion. I cried when Ruffian broke her leg in the match race and had to be put down. That's what I remembered today- I sat on the couch and cried, "Dear God, don't let that horse have to be put down."

Barry Bonds- big deal, Barbaro's great win at the Kentucky Derby will not need to be followed by an asterisk.

1 Comments:

  • At 8:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I care a little about Bonds - I'm hoping this means that he soon will announce his retirement.

    As for Barbaro - hopefully he will have a long life enjoying the ladies.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home