Lah-de-dah

I remember watching Madeline Kahn host "Saturday Night Live" in its first season. Part of her monologue asked the question "What if everyone grew up to be what they had wanted to be when they were kids? Imagine a world filled with ballerinas, princesses, astronuats, and firemen." (Sorry I can't find the exact quote)
Me? I always wanted to be an actress- and in 1977 I decided which actress (being plain old me was not an option). I saw the movie "Annie Hall" while on a family vacation and that was it- I wanted to be Diane Keaton. I may have dreamed of being as lovely as Audrey Hepburn but here was a quirky girl- talented, admired, and she even won an Academy Award !(when I won mine, I was going to diss everyone who ever teased me or said I couldn't do it- to hell with thanking my agent- you shouldn't have to thank people you pay.)
My "Annie Hall" obsession lasted into my freshman year of college- I started as a theatre major and even dated my very own Alvy Singer (he even had attended Dalton School!). Then I had to face the sorry fact of my life- this quirky girl was no Diane Keaton.
So, dear readers, today's question- What did you want to be when you were growing up- and how did it turn out?
Taffy

2 Comments:
At 8:39 PM,
Anonymous said…
When I was really little, I wanted to be a ballerina. I guess my parents didn't give me "Grace" as a middle name for a reason, so that never materialized. As I grew older, and realistically thought about what I wanted to do with my life, I knew that I wanted to do something that would help people (but had a little hidden, impractical [or so I thought] dream of being a fashion designer). So, I became and dental hygienist, and that has been satisfying as a career choice for me. Since I'm not grown up all the way yet, I'd like to pursue something creative as I ease into the fringes of retirement.
At 1:25 PM,
Anonymous said…
When I was little I wanted to be a cowgirl. In the elementary and middle years, I wanted to be a doctor (like my dad) or a teacher (like my mom). Then in high school I wanted to be a Serious Actress(!) Now my primary job is "mom" - which involves medicine, teaching, kid wrangling, and keeping a straight face when confronted with chronic tattling. So I get to do it all!
Post a Comment
<< Home