The Pink Taffy Manifesto

Random Thoughts From a Random Girl

Sunday, July 30, 2006

Discomfort Food

It is currently 85 degrees out- pretty nice until I mention that it is not even 9 a.m. Yesterday my midwestern town had a high of 237 degrees with a heat index of 258. My brain is starting to melt!

So, I give great and hearty thanks to Bruin who suggested this topic. Food. Oh not the type we reward ourselves with- in my case chocolate or whiskey sours-no, this is the food of repressed memory-or so we thought.

There usually is a dish in our childhoods that we despised but were forced to eat (remember those kids starving somewhere! Actually, I don't think even they would have gone for my mom's horror specialty). It may have been made with love and care but, in your eyes, eating it would result in your death. Yeah, and mom should then be charged with murder 2/depraved indifference.

In our house it was stuffed peppers. Oh, the picture makes them look good-but nothing could make them taste good. My mom would hollow out peppers and fill them with meat and rice. Then bake in the oven until the pepper looked like it was 75 years old and the meat and rice had turned rock hard. Time for dinner, kids! My sister and I would drown our portions with so much ketchup that our plates resembled the set of a slasher film.


So what dish were you forced to ingest- but would rather starve to death than eat today?

Taffy

If you want to check out some actual cookbooks with hysterical commentary visit this site
Gallery of Regrettable Food
www.likeks.com/institute/gallery/

4 Comments:

  • At 12:58 PM, Blogger Amanda said…

    oh, this is a good one!
    A peculiar type of froezn mixed vegetables. diced carrot, peas and turnip which my mother forced me to eat and I colud barely choke down, largely because my older brother told me it was recycled vomit! I may have already mentioned this in one of my posts, that's how much it scarred me for life.

     
  • At 11:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oyster casserole. This tasty number was made with canned oysters and crumbled Saltine crackers, with some sort of sauce. Bake until it turns into grey mush. It tasted terrible. Canned oysters are not a great start, but whatever was added to it made it practically inedible.

    Add to that - this dish was served on Christmas Eve. It was a family tradition on my Dad's side and his mother spent every Christmas with us. So we had to eat and pretend to like the oyster casserole because 1) Nana's feelings would be hurt and 2) it was Christmas Eve! You had to stay off the "bad" list until midnight or no presents!

    My Mom always ate the casserole, but I noticed that once my Nana passed away, it never appeared on the table again. - Fluffy

     
  • At 12:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    When I proposed this topic I had the stuffed pepper fiasco in mind. There is just not enough catsup in the world to make it edible.

    Another from the "cookbook of shame" was the ground beef and onion saute. I call it a saute only to give it some sense of panache - there wasn't any. Cook up some ground beef, add onions and water - boil until inedible.

    Bruin

     
  • At 1:55 PM, Blogger Kathy said…

    I vaguely remember that- why would you ever cook ground beef in water? Some kind of bizarre gravy?

    Taffy

     

Post a Comment

<< Home