What We Do To Get Along
My mind is still melting in the heat. I nearly fell asleep at work from it!Anyway, as my mind (or what is left of it) was drifting I thought of Big Blue. No, not IBM, but my beloved American Tourister Suitcase.
I got Big Blue as a graduation gift from high school. This thing was enormous. The type of suitcase that could hold a body- really. Paulie Walnuts and Christopher may be buying them up right now on ebay "just in case." I fit my entire wardrobe in it when I went to college-and that was the problem. Whenever I came home on break I had to lug BB to the airport. (BTW, this was in the days before luggage was put on wheels. If this thing had wheels, you would be required to have license to operate it).
So, on the day of my flight I would get all done up- skirt, make-up, high heels and hose. Then I would take the bus to O'Hare airport. Since I was a college student, I had no money to pay a skycap but I never had to carry BB through the airport. Some nice man would see me and say "Let me get that for you, Miss." After he tried to pick it up I usually heard "Lady, what do you have in this?" Once I had to walk several blocks to the bus. An Evanston police officer saw me and gave me a ride!
Well, now luggage is on wheels, and Big Blue was sold at a garage sale (the buyer said he was going to visit family overseas- wonder if he was going to ride in BB and save the airfare)
So, what bit of clever advice would you care to share?
Taffy
Note: The photo is not my suitcase but it was the closest I could find on the web. Big Blue, wherever you are, thank you for a job well done!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home