The Pink Taffy Manifesto

Random Thoughts From a Random Girl

Monday, August 28, 2006

182 Day Blender Ride


"The crickets sang in the grasses. They sang the song of summer's ending, a sad, monotonous song. 'Summer is over and gone,' they sang. 'Over and gone, over and gone. Summer is dying, dying."---- Charlotte's Web

Summer ended today, a dreary rainy day in Illinois. My kids went back to school. No more days of fun, without deadlines, without crazy schedules. The mom taxi service will soon be back in business.

There was no excitment this morning about returning to the books- just the resignation of three people who know that we have been placed back in the blender known as school and soon, some hand will hit the "puree" button.

My wish for the school year is that it isn't as soul breaking as it has sometimes been in the past. I pray for a year of teachers that care and really teach (don't get me started about one of the math teachers), of administrators that don't see a mother who advocates for her child with a learning disability as a pain in the rear. I pray that the bullies that sometimes tease both my kids for being from another country, get theirs. I pray that I have the strength to help at the right times, be encouraging always, and that it all turns out okay in the end. Whatever that means.

So, as I sit here in the unusual quiet of a Monday morning, I hope that they are happy and maybe feeling positive about all this.

And maybe I will start to feel that way, too.

Taffy

2 Comments:

  • At 9:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    They're both in school as of today. Fifth day of high school; first day of middle school. So far, no blender, but we're sure to get into it soon. There's something so peaceful about the first day of school with everyone off doing what they usually do and the dog sleeping by the door. I told myself I'd get serious, get down to business with everything that needs to be done in home, work and personal improvement. And I will. But I need a little time to just soak up the quiet and accept that life has completely shifted again. But much as I'm glad to no longer hear "Brown Eyed Girl" sung off key over and over or sibling fights over really trival issues, I'm not ready to think about saying goodbye to the older at a college somewhere three falls from now. Too soon! I'm going back to a bit more quiet before I move on.--Beth

     
  • At 3:53 PM, Blogger Amanda said…

    once the first week has been survived it's almost Christmas!!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home