The Empty Glasses

Haven't posted in a few days due to too much boring stuff going on. Also, had to recover from my marching in the parade. Lots of fun. People yelling "We love the library!" Then I have been attacked by whatever is the official state allergen of Illinois. The kids and I have practically been mainlining Benadryl.
Had a great time at the Cheap Trick concert. They may not have aged well in the looks department but they can still bring it musically! The kids watched them from behind a wall that separates the pavilion from the lawn while my friend and I sat on the lawn. They sounded great and of course sang all the oldies plus some stuff from their new (and very good) CD "Rockford." The off-key woman singing along to "The Flame" was me (amazing how some songs can just bring you back in time)
Just a few minutes ago I was passing through the kitchen and family room and saw all the empty glasses. Seems that it is a violation of the Geneva Convention to expect someone to put them in the dishwasher. I thought "it looks like the aftermath of a cocktail party." Then I remember the cocktail parties I grew up seeing on TV- the one on Laugh-In and the wonderful parties on the Dick Van Dyke Show (no, I am not that old, but caught them in reruns). Being a grownup looked wonderful!! You had a fun job and then on the weekends there were parties where your friends got up to sing and dance-all very witty and clever- a suburban version of the Algonquin Round Table!
Of course, I grew up and found out that parties were never like that- my parents parties usually ended with one neighbor in particular getting bombed and taking off his clothes, my parties, pre-kids, usually involved me worried about having the right amount of food. Just like love and romance was never like the Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers musicals that I loved to watch as a teen, no party was ever like Rob and Laura Petrie's.
So, I ask, what TV or movie gave you a view of the adult world?
Taffy

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home