The Secrets That We Keep
We all have secrets...some, well really aren't all that secret. My plans to divorce, for example, was known for months, in some cases, years by my trusted friends. "Secret dreams" aren't so secret-they are given away either by accident, design, or the mere blush at the sound of hearing someone's name.
But then there are the secrets that you will never tell-out of shame or fear. They are hard enough to admit to yourself, let alone risk the reaction of others. But there is a place where they can be told. I stumbled on to Post Secret via a link on Amanda's blog (thanks!) and every Sunday read the secrets of those brave writers. Some are touching, others funny, many heartbreaking and a few, to be honest, downright disturbing. What keeps me going back each Sunday to read the new ones isn't for the same reason we crane our necks to get a better view at a disaster, but for the comfort of reading something that let's me know that I am not alone.
This week Post Secret is offering a movie in lieu of the postcards. (Ironically, the song featured, Breathe Me by Sia, I had just sent off on a cd burned for someone who has yet to know something I have been keeping secret from them).
Maybe one day I will have the nerve to mail in my deepest secret (the one that literally no one knows)--maybe you will read it-never knowing it was mine--and I won't feel so alone with it any more.
Taffy
But then there are the secrets that you will never tell-out of shame or fear. They are hard enough to admit to yourself, let alone risk the reaction of others. But there is a place where they can be told. I stumbled on to Post Secret via a link on Amanda's blog (thanks!) and every Sunday read the secrets of those brave writers. Some are touching, others funny, many heartbreaking and a few, to be honest, downright disturbing. What keeps me going back each Sunday to read the new ones isn't for the same reason we crane our necks to get a better view at a disaster, but for the comfort of reading something that let's me know that I am not alone.
This week Post Secret is offering a movie in lieu of the postcards. (Ironically, the song featured, Breathe Me by Sia, I had just sent off on a cd burned for someone who has yet to know something I have been keeping secret from them).
Maybe one day I will have the nerve to mail in my deepest secret (the one that literally no one knows)--maybe you will read it-never knowing it was mine--and I won't feel so alone with it any more.
Taffy

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home