The Pink Taffy Manifesto

Random Thoughts From a Random Girl

Thursday, April 19, 2007

A Clothing Rant

Hi!

I am back from training sessions, meetings, and a whole lot of other stuff--including shopping.

I need some news clothes--actually, a lot of new clothes. All that dieting, walking, and dancing has paid off and my old wardrobe is just not cutting it. So, with a lot of excitement, I hit the stores. And fashion hit back.

Just who is the evil cabal that decided empire waists in awful shades of 70's earth tones was the way to go this year?

I went into the dressing room, feeling like I was Kate Moss and once I got a look at myself in the mirror, felt like Totie Fields (google that name, my young readers!). There were some things I liked, but they were too short and other things that were just horrible. Then I found a firty black and white skirt - bought it. Then went into another store that had a very helpful sales person who helped me match a sweater set (she told me not to tuck it in-looks dowdy) to it and brought in a few other things. I was standing there, in my new outfit and then my patented wave of doubt hit me---do I look good in this? I mean, I felt good, but would everyone else think I looked good?

Oh, I know the standard line "If you like it, wear it." Tell that to every star on the red carpet getting picked apart by Joan Rivers, US Magazine and the viewers at home. There are t.v. shows where people "save" viewers from their fashion mistakes. Its as if wearing an unflattering outfit is a crime on par with polluting the environment.

Some days I think that I have the reverse problem of a anorexic. They think of themselves as fat, I think of myself as thin--and in both cases, the mirror doesn't match the perception-and I wonder if in my case, they will ever meet.

So, here's to finding just the right outfit--I know it's out there.

Taffy

1 Comments:

  • At 9:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Do not get discouraged! Movie stars are paid big bucks (and retain expensive stylists) to wear flattering clothes and be more glamorous than regular people. Getting their outfit made fun of is part of the job description. For regular people, a thick skin is the best accessory. We are officially over 30 and don't need to please anyone but ourselves. If you think something looks good, it does look good and those who disagree can jump in the lake. Seize your inner Sheikira and flaunt it!! Fluffy
    (Always your biggest fan)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home