The Pink Taffy Manifesto

Random Thoughts From a Random Girl

Friday, October 27, 2006

Desire

Thought that might get your attention. Desire- objects of our desire, how we desire, what we desire....desire seems to have been on my mind a lot lately. Maybe its because next week is my birthday (special post early next week) and I have been reflecting on all the things I have desired.

When I was young, I wanted to be an actress- okay, not just an actress- an Academy Award winning one. I left my small New York town just like those girls in the movies. I went to college thinking I was going to be discovered and hit it big! (Someone in my class did just that- Julia Louis Dreyfuss). When I looked back on some of the things and especially people I left behind I told myself that I desired something different than what they did. It was a warm rationalization.

Now I have come to believe that most of us desire the same things- a safe, comfortable place to live, a decent paying rewarding job and most importantly a place- a place to love and be loved. It may be a traditional family, a church, a community. Sometimes it all falls into place- sometimes we have a few of the pieces or none at all. In my 20's I thought that having a big house, really nice car and throwing great parties would satisfy my desires. Not so.

So, my plan next week is to map out a way to fill in my missing pieces. Call it a game plan of a happy life. I may never get all of my heart's desire but I have learned the hard way that the worst thing to do is to stop desiring, dreaming, planning and trying.

Enjoy the weekend!
Go Bears!!

Taffy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home