The Voice of Experience

I have been reviewing for the GRE-doing great in the verbal. Math? Squids would get a better grade. I read the questions and literally start to get a headache. Then I remembered a wonderful scene from the movie "Peggy Sue Got Married" when Kathleen Turner stands up in her math class and says these immortal words
"I happen to know that in the future I will not have the slightest use for algebra, and I speak from experience."
Amen, sister.
So that got me thinking-what other things was I forced to commit to my ever shortening memory but found utterly useless or impractical in the my world.
-For me, all the math and science (and probably lit and political science for all the tech types)
-CPR-no, I am not knocking CPR-I actually took the class and got the card-in an emergency situation, however, I will either call 911, run around in circles in a panic, or if forced, pound on someone's chest, no doubt breaking several ribs. I am not your go-to girl in that type of situation.
-Anything related to survival skills- see above.
-How to fry chicken (I remember that in home ec)- gross, and I rarely eat the stuff.
-Anything related to gardening-again I am not knocking it-but I am the Dr. Kevorkian of plant life.
-How mechanical things work. I'm Catholic-I'll take it all on faith.
This is just the start. Feel free to add your own.
Taffy

1 Comments:
At 11:35 AM,
Anonymous said…
I took a microbiology class in college (from Dr. Pickett, three days older than dirt and has a virus named after him) and I still remember the latin names for whooping cough and syphillis. Useful only in a game of Trivial Pursuit.
-Bruin
Post a Comment
<< Home