The Pink Taffy Manifesto

Random Thoughts From a Random Girl

Monday, November 13, 2006

The Fading Of Pictures

I was going through several boxes of pictures, hunting for just the right one to use on the cover of a Christmas cd I am burning as a present for a friend. Despite my best efforts of years gone by, they were all a jumble. Taffy pre-kids, Taffy post-kids, young Taffy, college Taffy.......

Some had faded to the point of looking like they had been Xeroxed a thousand times, while others, in some cases older ones, looked almost pristine. I am sure there is some scientific reason for this but in light of my meeting with HBS, I thought of it differently.

When I was having dinner with him, I told his wife that I was a "teenage, brainiac, head case, drama queen." I had once used that phrase in one of my first emails with HSB. He sat there and said, "I thought you meant 'drama queen' because you were in Drama Club." No, I told him, I was a drama queen. He disagreed. I chuckled and thought that in 1977 he would have readily agreed with me.

And maybe that's it. Maybe that's why we now email. All that drama of my youth faded. All the intensity in those parts of my life, mellowed out-and a lot of it is now forgotten (at least by HSB!). Then I look at a photo of myself and the Sex and the Suburbs Girls circa 1985 -would a photo taken today look much different? I think not, that part of me, the fun-loving, get silly with the girls Taffy is still who I am today.

So, out there, is the "perfect" picture. The real Taffy. Don't know where it is, or if it has even been taken. I am sure that there is one out there for each of us. The right balance of color, composition and yes, drama.

Have fun finding it. In the meantime, I leave you with the author, age 5.

Taffy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home